Combined Bending and Direct Stress Tutorial Questions
These tutorial questions consider a variety of different problems that are related to the calculation of combined bending stress and direct stress present in members and structures under different loading conditions. They get progressively more complex and are designed to be worked through sequentially. When selected, the variables present for each tutorial question is randomly generated giving an infinite number of possible questions to be attempted. Additionally there are randomly generated worked examples and printed tutorial sheets to assist with the tutorial questions.
Each tutorial is selected by selecting the appropriate question number below.
- The analysis associated with these tutorial questions will round all your input values as follows:
- Forces, e.g. vertical and horizontal reactions (kN) - 3 decimal place.
- Dimensions (m) - 3 decimal places.
- Angles (°) - 3 decimal place.
- Numeric answers are required in all the fields. If you calculate a force as being zero, enter zero (0) in the appropriate field.
- You are only able to print the current question as a tutorial question if you have not submitted your answers.
- Once a tutorial question has been printed, you will not be able to submit your answers, or see the solution to that particular question.
- ∅ - Diameter of an object (mm).
- I - Second moment of area of cross section (mm4).
- ρ - Density of a material (N/mm²).
- σ - Compressive or tensile stress within a material (N/mm²).
- e - Eccentricity of a load (mm).