Structural Analysis - Worked Examples & Tutorials
The tutorial questions are provided to enable the student to apply a range simple analysis techniques to everyday engineering problems.
They are arranged so that they progressively build on previous knowledge and are supported by full solutions to each question, worked examples, study notes and video tutorials.
1. Equilibrium & Support Reactions
- Equilibrium of structures.
- Support types for plane frames.
- Determinate/in-determinate structures and instability.
- Actions and reactions.
- Principle of super-position.
2. Pin-jointed Frame Structures
- Analysis and assumptions.
- Arrangement of members.
- Internal static determinacy.
- Method of joints.
- Method of sections.
3. Simple Beams - Shear & Bending
- Static determinacy, supports and reactions.
- Shear and bending moments.
- Shear force and bending moment diagrams.
- Relationship between shear end bending.
- Deflected shape of simple beams.
4. Introduction to Direct Stress & Strain
- Stress analysis - axial tensile / compressive.
- Hoop stress.
- Linear elastic behaviour and introduction to plasticity.
- Relationship between stress & strain.
- Hook's Law & Young's Modulus.
5. Bending Stress
- Neutral axis
- Parallel axis theorem
- Section modulus
- Bending stress and strain
- Engineer's theory of bending
6. Combined Bending & Direct Stress
- Single axis bending
- Biaxial Bending
- Eccentrically Loaded Sections and the Middle Third Rule
- Wall Sections - Vertical and Lateral Load Conditions
- Retaining Walls.